So since we have gone from MMS –> MIIS –> ILM –> FIM, some of the components have also been renamed. Here is a post that describes some of the new names of the sub-components of FIM2010.
From Brjann Brekkan, Senior Product Manager of Forefront Identity Manager:
As a part of a broader announcement about or Business Ready Security strategy for Identity and Security we have now announced the new name for Identity Lifecycle Manager "2". ILM "2" is a member of the Forefront family and the official name is "Microsoft Forefront Identity Manager 2010".
Updates to our online resources will be ongoing for the next few weeks starting with a new starting page http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/en/us/identity-manager.aspx
When we write or talk about the product we will be using the following alternative names in falling priroty order
Microsoft Forefront Identity Manager 2010
Forefront Identity Manager
Names of the main components that make up Identity Manager
1. The new portal and the Service are simply called FIM Service and Portal
2. The metadirectory/synchronization/provisioning known from ILM 2007 is called FIM Synchronization Service
3. The Certificate Lifecycle Manager features in ILM 2007 is called FIM Certificate Management
I will follow up this announcement with more details on naming for the individual components
Senior Product Manager – Forefront Identity Manager
- So what was MIIS in MIIS2003,ILM2007 is now known as FIM Synchronization Service
- What was Certificate Lifecycle Manager (CLM) in ILM2007, is now known as FIM Certificate Manager
- The new kid on the block is the Sharepoint Portal and Services now known as FIM Service and Portal
- Let the name shuffle begin!