A friend pointed out that the Active Directory specifications are available online for those who have ever wanted to down to the details on the protocols used.
As he said “…all of it downloadable for personal reading pleasure”.
Released as part of Microsoft Open Protocol Specifications
- [MS-ADTS]: Active Directory Technical Specification
- [MS-ADA1]: Active Directory Schema Attributes A-L
- [MS-ADA2]: Active Directory Schema Attributes M
- [MS-ADA3]: Active Directory Schema Attributes N-Z
- [MS-ADLS]: Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services Schema
- [MS-ADSC]: Active Directory Schema Classes
And some related protocols:
- [MS-KILE]: Kerberos Protocol Extensions
- [MS-NLMP]: NT LAN Manager (NTLM) Authentication Protocol Specification
I suppose this is Microsoft “opening the kimono” and exposing the details on some of their technology. Overall this is good news to those interested to be able to see this level of information.