A few weeks ago I had wanted to put some downloaded video onto my Zune, but it was not in a format that was easily recognized without additional software. The problem appears that my PC was missing the proper CODEC needed, so I had decided to install one of the many "Packs" that are around.
These packs are usually a distribution containing several CODECs like DIVX, xVid, but they also contain some obscure codecs which might be useful to have if you need to view or convert the video.
Well it turns out after installing one of these, the Zune software started crashing during synchronization/encoding. The simple reaction was to un-install the codec pack, but unfortunately it did not appear to resolve the problem. So now I was stumped, since obviously some change was made that the uninstaller had failed to reverse, but where to look?
The errors I would get would be with Zune.exe and ZuneEnc.exe and would reference these in the system logs:
Faulting application Zune.exe, version 1.3.5728.0, time stamp 0x45f889f7, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549bdf8, exception code 0xc0000374, fault offset 0x000aa0fb, process id 0x1740, application start time 0x01c8093751cbbad1.
Thankfully I know enough of coding to know if I had grabbed the crash dump I could debug it, but unfortunately I am not a C++ programmer, so I was doubtful on how much information it would yield.
To cut a long story short, the crash debug did reference one file, msms001.vwp, which I did not know what it was, or where it came from. Some quick Live searching, and it turns out, that this is a known deprecated piece of software that is floating around in some of the Codec packs. As it turns out, this is part of the Voxware packaged from 1999, so simply deleting msms001.vwp and mvoice.vwp solved my problem.
This is one of the problems with all the codecs that do exist out there, is that it’s difficult to be up to date on what is released since there is still now universally trusted repository for end users to make sure they have all the codecs they need.
I just wanted to post this, so that others may stumble upon it if they have a similar issue. Now that I removed the foreign software, it appears everything is happy in Zune land. I can’t wait for the new Zune 2.0 software coming in November.